Sunday, November 8, 2009

Life comes in Chapters

I finished reading "The Chronicles of Tao" today. Great book: interesting to just read and even better insights available. (Do I exist? Why/why not?)(releasing control and the importance of self-discipline)(the dangers of over-mercy-ing someone)(fighting for your dreams and wants)
I was also impressed with the variety of his life. Rich kid, monk, operatic performer, boxer, gorilla warfare commander, teacher, politician--each easily could have been its own book or movie.
Marianne figured this out long ago. That life comes in chapters-extremly different in their purpose and their devotions. She as a student studied her percussion religiously so much that she won awards and awards. She cultivated a great talent. Then she became a mom. The chapter ended and a new one began. It can cause an identity crisis because not only are you switching what you daily perform but you also have to switch what it most important or vital. Suddenly in your God-given mission you are transferred from "become a professional _____" to "nurture this little child."
For me the upcoming future is similar, yet even more vague. "study and learn to be at a professional level" to "?????". A great jr high teacher? High school? College? Try to go Pro? I don't know. I feel I could really dig in to whatever the call would be, but I feel like Saihung in Philidelpha: I know I supposed to be here, so I'm here. Why I am here?
The meaning will come. It started to come to him two years later (maybe not until 20 years later). (if you knew the purpose of your life, would it ruin it?)
Life comes in Chapters. Not book chapters that have to relate. Wildly different and confounding chapters---otherwise how would there be any adventures?

No comments:

Post a Comment